Each recruit must complete in-depth training to become a correctional peace officer (CPO).
Our ministry’s Correctional Services Induction Training is a paid comprehensive training program designed for you – the new CPO recruit.
The program runs for nine weeks at the Alberta Justice and Solicitor General Training Academy in Edmonton. It provides you with inmate management and security skills, plus the basic tools and extensive knowledge that a CPO must know.
Our course instructors will lead you in professional development through these subjects:
- inmate management and conflict resolution
- communication skills
- peace officer legislation
- FOIP and other governance
- use of force and other legal issues
- note taking and reporting
- direct supervision
To give you a further understanding of offenders, we provide information sessions on:
- mental health
- brain damage from Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD)
- addiction issues
- gang culture
- multi-cultural awareness
The safety of our CPOs is a top priority. As a result, you're given significant classroom instruction and skill development in:
- tactical measures
- restraint techniques – practice, drills, simulations, scenarios
Our academy is a structured learning environment. It gets you job-ready – and instills the pride and professionalism that comes with being a CPO.