How do you determine when an offender will be released?


The federal Prisons and Reformatories Act allows most adult offenders to earn about one-third off their sentences by demonstrating good behaviour while incarcerated in provincial correctional facilities.

Offenders in provincial correctional centres who are serving longer sentences (e.g. 18 months to two years less a day) may apply to the National Parole Board for early release. Offenders can also apply for the Temporary Absence Program. This program allows carefully selected, minimum security offenders to be issued a conditional early release for employment, education, treatment, or humanitarian reasons.

If you are a victim, parent or guardian of a victim and require information on the release of an inmate who committed a crime against you or your loved one, contact the local police, victim service unit, and they can provide you with the required information.